Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

color me fancy.

I bought some hair dye over spring break in March, but I need to bleach my hair before I can use the dye, and I hadn't had time to go buy supplies until I made time last week. There isn't a Sally's in Manhattan or Brooklyn, so it's a little bit of a hassle.
I had never bleached my hair before and I had been pretty terrified before and watched at least a dozen youtube videos and searched up several tutorials on blogs before hitting the store. I had my roomie help me with the back of my head. It wasn't as scary as I made it out to be.
It wasn't uncomfortable and felt as if I was just dying my hair, except it lightens pretty fast with visible results. I had only ever dyed my hair black or brown before so I never saw results until I washed and dried my hair. The first bleach came out uneven. I was applying the bleach too slow and it became spotty in some areas, and my roots didn't bleach. I tried to cover up those spots on the second go. After applying, it didn't take long for my head to look yellow, so I freaked out and washed it out a little early.
I didn't know that bleach looks lighter when it is still on as opposed to what it actually is when washed out. When I washed it out, the unbleached spots were mostly gone, but it was kind of gradiented so it goes light to dark. It was still more orange than yellow since I didn't leave it on long enough. It's like. Glowing orange. It hurts my eyes a bit.
Bleaching and dying the same day didn't strike me as an option as my hair was already pretty dried out. I had the hardest time finding something to wear. Orange hair clashes with everything.
After I took a break for a couple days I did toning, which didn't really do anything except make my hair feel really dry. I dyed that day too with Gatsby Aqua Silver. Honestly I didn't really know what to expect. In the color result chart, my hair color fell in between two base colors. I left it on for 30 minutes as the box suggested. It came out being Mostly ash blond with streaks of silver where the bleach took more effect.
For the most part I'm pretty satisfied with how it came out! I'd planned to have it silver, but ash blond isn't bad either. I think I'll try silver some other time. Next year, I want to do pink, too. During the duration I had my hair bleached, I suddenly wanted to try all sorts of colors that I'd never really considered before. I never considered blond because I didn't think it'd look good.
Cool tone hair is nice. No more color clashing.
Happy first day of May! Love, Kaia

3 comments:

li_zakura said...

When you bleach it, it helps to cover your head with foil! it goes lighter much faster :) only that you don't have to leave the bleach more that 25min hehe... you look so pretty with that hair color! i love how it looks like after the toning<3 and i love your necklace too *-* haha

prancing bee said...

I like that ash blond color!
I was pretty freaked out when I bleached my hair too. Orange color is an unfortunate phase that most of us with dark hair have to go through!

The Holly Rivers Show said...

hair dyeing...what a mission of a process eh?!

www.thefashionturd.com

Post a Comment